Firebird: Mid-Tier Digital Cockpit Technology (2021)
As a Product Owner, I spearhead a global development team in creating innovative automotive cockpit experiences and determining future technology strategies. Firebird, a code name for the 2021 concept vehicle, is a digital cockpit technology targeting mid-tier vehicles model year 2024-2026. My goal is to push the limit of small to mid-level computing hardware to keep the cost down without sacrificing safety, functionality, and experience.
- Firebird Infotainment runs on Automotive Android, which means it is equipped with Android security and convenient features such as user management, widget configurability, or day/night mode. Drivers can save seat settings or personalize widgets on the Dashboard to their profile.
- Roughly 60% of smart device users preferred portrait over 40% landscape. A Full HD Rotating Center Display supports that divided preference and can be activated by nudging or pressing a physical or digital button.
- The user interface is fully Responsive. It resizes and adjusts its layout to support both orientations and will even adapt when rendering on a smaller or larger screen.
- Leveraging Material Design, a visual language that’s just becoming popular on mobile and web, the team is able to bring high-quality digital experiences to the infotainment system.
- Alexa’s Dual-language capability makes it possible for passengers to switch their conversion with Alexa in two languages without having to switch the system’s language settings. The Local Voice Control enables Alexa to function in areas with no internet connection.
- A Directional Microphone can pinpoint the speakers’ location and enable them to issue a voice command or restrict based on their seat position. Our technology uses fewer microphones than a traditional setup and reduces hardware and installation cost.
- Dual-Phone Bluetooth connectivity makes it possible to listen to music or receive calls from two phones without having to disconnect and pair the other device while driving!
- Our Cameras solutions offer a broad range of features from capturing the scenic view of your trip, a fun moment inside the cockpit to navigation aid with Mapbox Vision SDK’s vehicle and road sign detection.
- Companion Mobile App lets you stay connected to your vehicle where ever you are. You can check its location remotely, see who’s inside, or lock/unlock via Bluetooth Low Energy Keyless entry.
- Firebird supports 3rd party apps readily available on Google Play including Amazon Prime, Facebook, Instagram, and Zoom.