The Art of Window Dressing
I was part of the team servicing the Hunter Douglas account. Following the appearance of the 1st generation iPad in 2009, the team was quick to adapt by creating an iPad app that would enhance a potential customer’s shopping experience. Its touch paradigm makes user interaction more fluid and engaging in iMagine, a room visualization developed in Flash for them a couple of years prior.
Rather than creating yet another version of iMagine in Objective-C, I developed Color Filter based on an evaluation of the way consumers shop for blinds. This feature allows users to search through over 5,000 swatches in order to make an informed decision. I formally pitched the idea to Hunter Douglas, showed the stakeholders my prototype, and explained mathematical and color theories. Following their approval, it was released with the app.
- Dress a Window allows a potential customer to upload room photos and visualize the possibilities of each product and swatch in a personalized environment.
- Sophisticated search algorithms narrow down selections by product type, energy efficiency, material, size, opacity and swatch color.
- Selections can be saved for later or shared with friends.
- Photo Gallery contains inspirational photos. Configurations of choice may be applied to a customer’s personal room photo.
- Where to Buy can quickly find authorized dealers in a customer’s area.
- Ideated and presented concept and prototype to the client as well as delivering a weekly report
- Designed user flow and interaction
- Architected the application so that the subsections could be delegated among team members
- Managed internal team, providing feedback and reviewing code
- Worked with a backend engineer for necessary APIs to support the app
- Provided features request and feedback to a third-party library developer
- Implemented core features
- Managed source control
- Deployed the app to the App Store
- Internet Advertising Competition: Best Design Mobile application 2013
- MobileWebAward: Best Consumer Goods Mobile Application 2012
- MobileWebAward: Best Design Mobile Application 2012
- W3: Silver Award in the Mobile Applications – Shopping category 2012